Packing a suitcase

Health insurance when travelling abroad

Whether you are heading off on holiday or going abroad to live, work or study, you want to be well insured. This is what you need to know about your health insurance when travelling abroad.

Choose your health insurance

CZ health insurance an healthcare abroad

Good to know

Take your EHIC with you

If you are on holiday within Europe and need medical care, simply show your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and they’ll know that you’re insured with CZ.

Need urgent medical care abroad?

Call the CZ Helpline on +31 13 468 0402 right away. Our nurses are on standby 24/7 to provide you advice and assistance, in your own language.

CZ ‘Verdragspolis’

If you are living in the Netherlands and have health insurance in another country, the ‘Verdragspolis’ ensures that your healthcare is reimbursed in the Netherlands as well.

Reimbursement for urgent medical care abroad

General insurance, up to the rate applicable in the Netherlands

If you need urgent medical treatment while abroad, this is covered under the general insurance policy, but only up to the rate that applies in the Netherlands. That’s sufficient for many countries, but not all.

If your destination is the US, Canada, Switzerland, Japan or a country in South America, for example, bear in mind that medical treatment is more expensive in these places. This means that the general insurance policy may not be sufficient to cover the costs and that you may be out of pocket. Fortunately, you can get cover for these costs too – with an additional insurance package.

Deductible: bear in mind that you will need to pay a deductible for urgent medical care abroad.

NOTE: Want to know where you can safely travel to? Check the travel advice before your departure. Is the travel advice negative (orange or red) due to the coronavirus? Then you will not receive any reimbursement from your additional insurance for any healthcare costs related to the coronavirus.

Additional insurance packages

All our additional insurance packages give additional cover on top of that offered under the general insurance policy. We will then reimburse the costs in full. They also cover the costs of repatriation, the organisational costs charged through the emergency centre, dental help (up to €275) and oral care after an accident (up to €10,000). Our additional insurance packages start from as little as €1.95 per month.

More about reimbursements for urgent medical care abroad (in Dutch)

Travel insurance with medical cover

A travel insurance policy that includes medical care also offers good cover for while you are away on holiday. Through CZ, you can take out an OHRA travel insurance policy at a 5% discount.
Discount with the OHRA travel insurance policy (in Dutch)

See our tips for a care-free holiday. Travel abroad well prepared

Planned healthcare abroad

You can visit a medical facility abroad to receive treatment for your condition or complaint. We call this planned healthcare abroad and this is any healthcare that is not urgently required.

You can be reimbursed for all or some of the costs of this planned healthcare. See the terms and conditions and read all about the reimbursements.
More about reimbursement of planned healthcare abroad (in Dutch)

Students and interns

Studying or doing an internship abroad

When you study abroad you can generally remain covered under your Dutch health insurance. Make sure, though, that you remain registered with your Dutch municipality.

If you receive wages or an internship allowance, however, you possibly will need to cancel your Dutch health insurance. Contact the ‘Sociale Verzekeringsbank’ (national insurance scheme implementation body) for more information.

Study or an internship in the Netherlands

If you come to the Netherlands to study or do an internship, you must ensure that you have adequate insurance cover for unexpected medical costs.
More information for students and interns

Living in the Netherlands with foreign health insurance

Packing a suitcase

Personalised advice for insurance abroad

The Netherlands has specific agreements with each country about how a person is insured when they come to that country to work, study or do a work placement. Using our Abroad Guide (‘Buitenlandwijzer’), you can get personalised advice for your stay abroad for these purposes.

Get personalised advice (in Dutch)

Frequently asked questions

To the top