‘Verdragspolis’: reimbursement of healthcare in the Netherlands

  • You have foreign medical expenses insurance
  • You live in the Netherlands and want to have access to healthcare here
  • You want reimbursement for your medical expenses in the Net


Register for the 'Verdragspolis'

This information was updated on: 23 December 2021

What is the 'Verdragspolis'?

You live in the Netherlands, so if you require healthcare here, you want it reimbursed without any unnecessary complications, even though you already have foreign medical expenses insurance. The 'Verdragspolis' makes this possible, without having to pay an extra premium.

When you should consider the 'Verdragspolis'?

You can register for the 'Verdragspolis'if:

  • you work in a foreign country or receive a pension or benefits from a foreign country, and
  • you live in the Netherlands and are insured in an EU member states: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus (not including Northern Cyprus), Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (including Guadeloupe, French Guyana, Martinique, Mayotte, Réunion, and St. Martin), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal (including Madeira and the Azores), Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (including Ceuta, Melilla, and the Canary Islands), and Sweden.

How the ‘Verdragspolis’ works

The ‘Verdragspolis’ provides you with reimbursement for healthcare services in the Netherlands just as if you were insured in the Netherlands. The reimbursements are the same as you would get if you had the CZ ‘Zorg-op-maatpolis’ policy. Healthcare you receive in the country where you are insured is covered by your regular foreign health insurance policy.

Since you are already paying premiums to your foreign health insurer, you do not need to pay premiums for the ‘Verdragspolis’. You do have to pay the The amount that you first pay yourself before you receive a reimbursement. The government determines the compulsory deductible, this is €385 in 2024. The 'Verdragspolis' does not have a voluntary deductible. The deductible applies only to the basic insurance. For some healthcare you do not pay any deductible, such as the general practitioner and maternity care. You do not pay any deductible if you use healthcare in the country where you work or receive a benefit or pension. for healthcare you receive in the Netherlands though.

In addition to the reimbursements provided under the ‘Verdragspolis’, you are also entitled to healthcare under the Dutch Long-Term Care Act (‘Wet langdurige zorg’, Wlz). This can involve healthcare benefits in kind, such as admission to a healthcare facility and the related nursing care.

Tip! Extra cover with an additional insurance package

If you want more extensive reimbursement for healthcare in the Netherlands, such as for physiotherapy and dental costs, you can also take out an additional insurance package with CZ. You will need to pay a premium for the additional insurance.

How to register for the ‘Verdragspolis’

  1. Request the appropriate E106/S1/E121 form

    Request the If you are working in an EU, EEA or treaty country or in Switzerland, you will need an E106 or S1 form. If you receive a pension or benefit from one of these countries, you will need an E121 or S1 form. You can request the appropriate form from your health insurer. from your foreign medical expenses insurer. We cannot complete your registration without this form.

  2. Send us relevant information

    Send us the documents and details we ask for. For example, the E106/S1/E121 form issued by your foreign health insurer. When you have completed the registration form, you will see the details we require and how you can send them to us.

4 things you need to know when you have a ‘Verdragspolis’

  • If you have received healthcare in the Netherlands, we arrange everything with your foreign health insurer. You do not need to take any action yourself.
  • If you have to pay a deductible for your healthcare, we will charge this amount to you.
  • As a person residing in one treaty country with health insurance in another, you are no longer entitled to the healthcare allowance. You must inform the Dutch tax authorities (‘Belastingdienst’) accordingly.
  • If your situation changes, be sure to let us know within 4 months. For example, if you no longer work abroad, if a family member has started working in the Netherlands, or if you or a family member receive benefits. You may no longer qualify for the ‘Verdragspolis’ in such cases. More information is available in the .

Frequently asked questions

In 2006, the Dutch government designated CZ ‘orgaan van de woonplaats’, i.e. the only competent authority to offer this policy. So we are the only health insurer in the Netherlands where people insured in a foreign country can register for the ‘Verdragspolis’.

This is possible in some situations. Your partner can register for cover under the 'Verdragspolis' if he or she:

  • does not have an income;
  • also works abroad;
  • receives a pension or benefits from outside the Netherlands.

If your partner works in the Netherlands or receives a pension or benefits from the Netherlands, he or she is required to have general insurance in the Netherlands.

You can register children if:

  • they are younger than18 and do not work;
  • you do not have a partner;
  • your partner also has a 'Verdragspolis'.

You must insure your children under a normal Dutch health insurance policy if:

  • your child works in the Netherlands regardless of his or her age;
  • your partner works in the Netherlands or receives uitkering from the Netherlands;
  • your child is 18 or older and does not receive income from the Netherlands or another country.

Please note that a side job is work as well.

Share your experience

You have just completed the 'Verdragspolis' form. How was this for you?

Give Your Europe your feedback

Your Europe logo

Your Europe portal

European Union website that provides information, help and advice on working, travelling and procedures for EU residents.
Go to Your Europe portal

Do you have a question about the Verdragspolis?