Register for the ‘Verdragspolis’

If you live in the Netherlands but have health insurance in another country, the ‘Verdragspolis’ ensures that your healthcare is reimbursed in the Netherlands as well at no additional cost.

The ‘Verdragspolis’ — how it works

The ‘Verdragspolis’ provides you with reimbursement for healthcare services in the Netherlands just as if you were insured in the Netherlands. The reimbursements are the same as you would get if you had the CZ ‘Zorg-op-maatpolis’ policy (an in-kind health insurance policy). Healthcare you receive in the country where you are insured is covered by your regular foreign health insurance policy.

Since you are already paying premiums to your foreign health insurer, you do not need to pay premiums for the ‘Verdragspolis’. You do have to pay the The amount that you first pay yourself before you receive a reimbursement. The government determines the compulsory deductible, this is €385 in 2021. The 'Verdragspolis' does not have a voluntary deductible. The deductible applies only to the basic insurance.
For some healthcare you do not pay any deductible, such as the general practitioner and maternity care. You do not pay any deductible if you use healthcare in the country where you work or receive a benefit or pension.
 for healthcare you receive in the Netherlands though.

When you need healthcare services in the Netherlands, you can see any of our 45,000 contracted healthcare providers with whom we have made agreements on the price and quality of the care you receive.

If you would like more extensive reimbursement for healthcare in the Netherlands, you might want to consider taking out one of the CZ additional insurance packages. You will need to pay a premium for additional insurance.

In addition to the reimbursements provided under the ‘Verdragspolis’, you are also entitled to healthcare under the Dutch Long-Term Care Act. This can involve healthcare benefits in kind, such as admission to a nursing home and the related nursing care.

Registering for the ‘Verdragspolis’

You can register for the ‘Verdragspolis’ if:

  • you work in a foreign country or receive a benefit or pension from a foreign country; and
  • you live in the Netherlands and are insured in one of the EU countries
    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus (only the Greek part), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (including Guadeloupe, French Guyana, Martinique, Mayotte, St. Martin and La Réunion), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal (including Madeira and the Azores), Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (including Ceuta, Melilla and the Canary Islands), Sweden, and the United Kingdom (including Gibraltar).
    EEA countries
    These countries are not part of the EU, but EU rules apply all the same: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. The same applies to Switzerland.
    Treaty countries outside the EU/EEA
    Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cape Verde, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Morocco, Serbia, Tunisia and Turkey.

For your partner

Your partner can also have the ‘Verdragspolis’ if he or she:

  • does not have an income; or
  • also works abroad; or
  • receives a pension or benefits from outside the Netherlands.

If your partner works in the Netherlands or receives a pension or For example, unemployment benefit (‘WW-uitkering’) or sickness benefit (‘ZW-uitkering’), or benefits under the Dutch Invalidity Insurance Act (‘Wet op de arbeidsongeschiktheid’, Wao) or the Dutch Work and Income (Capacity for Work) Act (‘Wet werk en inkomen naar arbeidsvermogen’, Wia)
from the Netherlands, he or she is required to have the compulsory general insurance in the Netherlands.

For your children

Your children can also be registered under your ‘Verdragspolis’ if they are younger than 18 and are not working, and if:

  • you do not have a partner; or
  • your partner also has a ‘Verdragspolis’.

So you must insure your children under a normal Dutch health insurance policy if:

  • your child works in the Netherlands, regardless of his or her age; or
  • your partner works in the Netherlands or receives a pension or benefits from the Netherlands; or
  • your child is 18 or older and does not receive income from the Netherlands or another country.

Part-time job

If your child is under the age of 18 and has a part-time job, he or she should be insured under a normal Dutch health insurance policy and not through the ‘Verdragspolis’. However, your minor child will not have to pay premiums for this health insurance, since he or she is under the age of 18. If your child quits the part-time job, please tell us right away.

Four steps to registering

  1. Check whether you are eligible for the ‘Verdragspolis’.
  2. Request the If you are working in an EU, EEA or treaty country or in Switzerland, you will need an E106 or S1 form. If you receive a pension or benefit from one of these countries, you will need an E121 or S1 form. You can request the appropriate form from your health insurer.
     from your foreign health insurer. We cannot complete your registration without this form.
  3. Complete the form in order to register.
  4. You will receive a copy of the form by email, along with further instructions on the additional information we need you to send.

After registration

No entitlement to healthcare allowance

If you have been receiving a healthcare allowance, you will no longer be entitled to this once you are registered for the ‘Verdragspolis’. If this applies to you, please inform the Dutch tax authorities of your new situation by calling 0800 0543, or make the change online.

How we settle the healthcare costs

We charge the costs incurred for your medical care under the ’Verdragspolis’ and the Dutch Long-Term Care Act (‘Wet langdurige zorg’, Wlz) to your foreign health insurer, based on the E106/E121/S1 form we have received from you. You do not need to arrange anything yourself. However, we are not able to charge the compulsory deductible to your foreign health insurer.

Important: inform us of any changes within 4 months

If something has changed in your situation, like someone in your family has started working in the Netherlands, for example, or has started receiving benefits or a pension from the Netherlands, you must let us know within four months. In such cases, you may no longer be entitled to the ‘Verdragspolis’ and, if not, we will have to ask you to repay any costs we have reimbursed.

In that case, the ‘Verdragspolis’ will terminate on the day from which you are no longer insured in the foreign country and this can also be with retrospective effect. If you do not submit changes within 4 months, your insurance cover may be interrupted. This is because a Dutch health insurer will only cover you from the date on which you register.


To the top