You doubt the proposed treatment or diagnosis and would like a second opinion of another doctor. The other doctor does not know you and your situation. It is therefore important that you properly describe your situation. CZ has listed the most important questions for your benefit. This ensures that you are well prepared to meet this physician. Do you need advice? In that case, please call CZ Zorgteam.
Before the meetingAsk yourself the following questions:
- What are my health problems?
- When did my health problems start?
- What aggravates/diminishes the health problems?
- What diagnosis or treatment has been proposed?
- What do I have doubts about?
During the meetingYou can ask your doctor the following questions:
- What do I have and how did this happen?
- My attending physician has made this diagnosis. What is your opinion?
- Are there other treatment alternatives?
- What are the risks involved in the treatment(s)?
- What are the consequences if I do not undergo the treatment?
- Are other examinations possible and necessary?
- Bring along your questionnaire.
- Take someone with you to the meeting.
- Feel free to ask your doctor whether you may record the meeting.
After the meeting
Now the time has come to reassess everything. If you have received the same diagnosis, it can reassure you. If that is not the case, it could be that you have doubts or new questions. Discuss these doubts or questions with your attending physician or with your GP.
More about advice